Συμφωνα με την παρακατω ερευνα το Λιναρελαιο αυξανει τις πιθανοτητες αναπτυξης καρκινου του προστατη ενω τα ιχθυελαια αντιστοιχα τις μειωνουν.Πρεπει να ανησυχουμε οσοι απο εμας κανουμε καταναλωση Λιναρελαιου (και να στραφουμε αποκλειστικα στα ιχθυελαια?)

Flax Seed Oil Actually Increases Prostate Cancer While Fish Oil Decreases It
A recent study of about 47,000 men has found the ALA omega-3 fatty acids stimulate the growth of prostate tumors in men. Of the men monitored over 14 years, some 3,000 struggled with prostate cancer and about one in seven were suffering from the advanced stages of the disease.

Researchers found men who were suffering from advanced prostate cancer had higher quantities of ALA from non-animal as well as meat and dairy sources.

Scientists also found EPA and DHA could reduce the risk of total and advanced prostate cancer too. How does EPA and DHA work to prevent prostate cancer? Researchers offered these possibilities:

modification of membrane phospholipid composition
alteration of cell signaling and receptor activity
lipid peroxidation
cyclooxygenase inhibition
cytokine production
interference with androgen activity

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition July 2004 80(1);204-216
Dr. Mercola's Comment:

Most anyone interested in nutrition has heard that omega-3 fats reduce the rate of cancer. Many early adopters of this information applied this to the plant-based sources of omega-3 (ALA). One of the highest sources of ALA is in flax seeds so flax seed oil in the '90s had gained widespread attention in the health community as an important source of nutrition. Ten years ago I was certainly caught up in that hype and had many of my patients take it.

I rapidly found though that most people did not tolerate it well and I rapidly advised my patients to stop taking it.

Now it is very clear that only a very small percentage of the omega-3 in flax is converted to EPA and DHA. It is actually EPA and DHA that do the heavy lifting for cancer prevention, not ALA.

I am somewhat surprised at the results of this study. I never suspected that high amounts of ALA would actually increase prostate cancer but this appears to be the case. At worst I would have guessed that it had little influence on prostate cancer. However, I don't think this is support that flax seed oil should not be consumed at all as we certainly need sources of ALA in our diet. I think the problem results when, like many vegetarians, one seeks to use ALA as a replacement for fish oil. This study is a very powerful testimony that this is just not a wise strategy to follow.

It is also very important to realize that cod liver oil is the ideal source of EPA and DHA for prostate cancer prevention as it is loaded with vitamin D and vitamin D may be even more important than EPA and DHA in prevention of prostate cancer.

Why make such a big deal out of this? Well prostate cancer is the number one cancer in men. So if you are a man or know or love someone who is, I strongly suggest you (or encourage him to) add a source of high-quality cod liver oil in your diet.

The following is a list of nutrients and techniques that can likely help men prevent prostate cancer:

Vitamin D
Increase your intake of omega-3 oils and reduce omega-6 oils
Sunlight
Selenium--400 mcgs per day
Freshly ground flaxseeds--2 ounces every day
Vitamin E--400 units (Only natural Vitamin E should be usee, not synthetic. Also, mixed tocopherol is more preferable than alpha-tocopherol,as the gamma tocopherols are particularly useful antioxidants.)
Progesterone creme
Daily vegetable juice, including one small tomato (lycopene)
Treat stress using EFT
Cut out sugar
Related Articles:

Fish Oil Benefits the Heart and Brain

Fish Oil / Cod Liver Oil Frequently Asked Questions

If You're Taking Fish Oil, Fat-Soluble Antioxidants are Crucial

How Fish Oil Can Treat & Prevent Cancer

Major Study Shows Fish Oil Fat in Infants Increases Adult Intelligence

Links: http://www.mercola.com/2004/jul/21/flax_seed_oil.htm
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/80/1/204